Sunday, August 17, 2008

I'll never tell

I'll admit it, my gut reaction when someone starts to complain about pain of any kind is to tell them to suck it up and deal. I am not really a mean person though, i just wish people would learn to suck it up and deal. Why? because I am a running, I suck it up and deal every single day.
Saturday morning I get up for a routine twelve miler. My inner thighs are on fire, my right eye is swollen half shut and I am tearing up before even leaving the house. And yet I leave the house. I push through the heat, through the fatigue, up the hills and under the sun, I push through until the whole thing is over. I mean it's not like I have the choice to stop, dust myself off and have a cup of tea along the way. I knew this wasn't going to be any kind of picnic. And the only other people who will ever understand are the ones who have been there themselves.
To all the people who are just climbing on a treadmill for the first or fourth time in your life, you do not have shin splints, to all the newfound runners who have microscopic blisters on their toes you have no idea what you are in for.
As difficult as it has been, I have learned the best skill of all for training. Keep your mouth shut, becuase these people will never understand what you put yourself through. They don't want to understand, not even close. And its all relative, the pain they are experiencing may be the worst pain that exists in their life. You have no idea what battles other people are fighting. I asked for this kind of pain. I brought it on myself, and I will take it with a smile on my face (most of the time)

No comments: