Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Have a little understanding.

Sometimes I get so caught up in my complete love for running, that I forget not everyone has been there before. There was even a time when I didn't know if Boyfriend would ever truly know what I went through for running. The thing that still baffles me is why some people, those who very clearly do not understand, still feel the need to comment on my lifestyle, hobby, or whatever you want to call it. I like to think mature adults can respect each others desires and opinions even if you don't agree with them. And even if you don't know how much work it takes to train for a marathon, or half marathon, or 10k or 5k or just get up every day and decide to go running, if you know you are too lazy to do it yourself can't you just respect those who do?

I can't tell you how many times someone has said to me "how long is that marathon", "oh well it's only a half, that must be nothing to you", or "oh ten miles is easy for you right?". And when seeing me in my shorts, T-shirt and sneakers they say "Oh are you running tonight?" While sometimes it is said with genuine interest most of the time it comes with a tiny smirk and a hint of laughter. I don't have much patience for people who say "Oh well you're just going to run it off anyways so why don't you just eat another cupcake/donut/piece of pizza etc." I hate to break it to you, but I'm in good shape because I take care of my body and I don't eat too much junk food. And I don't "just run it off". Running doesn't equal the burning of all the calories of extra sweets you ate all day long.

Just a weeks ago, at a cookout with one of Boyfriend's co-workers, someone brought up the fact that I had run 12 miles the day before. Now not a single one of the people there was the least bit athletic, so I didn't expect them to understand and that was ok. But I was not prepared for what came next. Someone asked about the New York Marathon, and I mentioned it's difficult to get into because of the lottery and strict qualifying times. But then someone had the nerve to say "Why don't you run Boston, maybe they I'd be impressed". As the words fell out of his mouth it was like slow motion, and I almost had a witty comeback to shoot back into his face but I was too shocked to even speak. While I will agree, yes it is very impressive to qualify for Boston, and one day I hope to be able to do so, just because I have not gotten there yet, does not mean I don't work hard. Don't worry, I later got an apology for this somewhat rude comment

Perhaps I am a little too high strung, maybe I'm just a little to sensitive, but I don't go around my office making joking comments about anyone else's hobbies. I don't care if your thrill in life is dressing up and re-enacting civil war battles. It must make you feel some kind of amazing if you love it, so who am I to judge what makes you happy. I am not always this bitter sounding. And it helps that I have joined Team Challenge and every week I get to train with coaches and mentors who understand me one hundred percent and understand why I want to push myself to be better and faster.

I just want to say to all those out there, if you don't understand me, it's ok. I am not asking you to. All I ask is that you keep your comments to yourself. I don't need to hear them. I don't think they are funny. I work really hard. I make my share of sacrifices. But I am happy with every single little bit of it. I think it is worth it.

xx Sara

3 comments:

Jason Grigely said...

wow Sara I totally agree. as you may or may not have noticed in one of my recent facebook status's I've been getting a hard time for complaining about the drunk college kids at the Boston Marathon.

For some reason, people think it's ok for kids to get drunk at a historic race (that part doesn't bother me), then do things like get out and run on the course, thinking it's hilarious (THAT bothers me). Have some respect for the people who have been training months, YEARS to run that race!

Denise said...

people are idiots. i've had 3 mile runs which kicked my azz. regardless of marathon, 10k, whatever the distance, it's tough to get out there and do this and people should respect not only your hobby, but your dedication and toughness for something that is not easy.

hope to see you saturday!

Black Labs and Lilly said...

I never know how to respond when people make comments like "oh, you'll just run it off" or "I can't even walk 5 miles, let alone run it" its all about how hard you work and how hard you push yourself, and I shouldn't be made to feel like others are putting me down because of my hobby!

Great Post!