Friday, April 23, 2010

A little help from your friends

Recently, a friend of mine from high school wrote a facebook note about the things that motivate him to run. I was extremely touched to be included as one of the people that motivated/mentored his path as a runner. The funny thing is we were never friends IN high school, although I can't remember why. His older sister was a cheerleader on my squad. Our little sisters were best friends as toddlers. We lived in the same neighborhood, although at different points in our lives. I dated one of his good friends, M, at the end of our senior year. Even our mothers were at one time friends, chatting on the phone all the time and arranging play dates between the little girls. Let's chalk it up to me just being weird and awkward for most of my life. I moved to Philly for college, my relationship with M ended and I dove head first into my new life as a city girl.

This could have been the end of the story except one summer after college this friend ended up living in my city as part of a summer internship and we actually ended up hanging out in the time I could find between all my training. This was of course the summer I was training for Hartford, and I was taking it so seriously. I thought this would be the year I would come close to 4 hours. My mantra that summer was "If you want something bad enough it's worth everything you give up to get there". To most people I know I give off the vibe of "crazy runner", and I don't mind much. But when people ask me for help or advice, I am so excited to share my world to anyone who would listen. So this friend starts asking for advice on running and of course I am more than happy to help. I talk about baby steps, increasing distance a little bit each time, or each week, etc. As summer comes to an end and fall approaches he tells me he is signing up for his first 5k. It warms my heart when I can share my love for running with someone else, and even more so when they have the self motivation to keep going. It is incredibly hard to push someone every step of the way and when that happens you almost wonder if they even want it at all. But when someone comes along who really wants it, and is really interested in what you have to say, that is amazing. After all, I wouldn't be where I am today if it wasn't for all the people in my life who gave me advice and encouragement to keep on going. This friend is now on his way to his second half marathon.

Sometimes I get so caught up in trying to get to other people's level that I forget there are people who look up to me. Sometimes I even forget that I am probably conveying the wrong message to them by being so stubborn. Not everyone has to be a crazy dedicated runner. Not everyone should push themselves through pain and discomfort. But I am glad that I can be an inspiration to anyone, at any level.

xx Sara

1 comment:

Denise said...

i'm always amazed when people say i inspired them. i'm just a normal girl, trying to run...nothing special. but it feels so good when people say that.