Monday, April 26, 2010

When being sick takes over

Laying in bed on a monday morning listening to the rain splatter against the window, I am only half glad that I am not at work. Half because, well believe it or not I actually like work. But I am sick. Not the occasional cough or runny nose sick, but the kind where I just feel like a ball of miserable. Where going out for a run is the farthest thing on my mind. But then again it's also the closest.

It's been about a week and a half since i've really given my body a good hard speed workout, and my legs are craving speed. They crave pain. I want to feel better first of all so I can breathe, but second so I can RUN. I want to just hop out of bed and do yoga. I want to stretch my muscles and have them feel alive. I want to do crunches, and plank exercises and have my abs scream out for mercy, and then do five more reps before I let them rest.

I often used to overlook small sicknesses, in favor of that one last workout for the week. So what that my nose is just a little stuffy, I feel fine! I need to run! But now I cannot necessarily say that is the smartest approach. I don't want to sound like I am being lazy, I hate all things lazy. But I do think there is some merit to the idea that when you get sick, you should give your body the rest it deserves so it can heal and get better. And when you are back to your best, you go out for a run and see where you stand. Did you loose a few days of fitness, well maybe. But is it the end of the world? No.

So today I will stay in bed. I will do nothing but aimlessly wander the internet while drinking orange juice and eating soup and occasionally taking a nap. I fill myself up with over the counter cough syrups and cross my fingers and hop and pray that I feel better soon. Who knows, maybe I'll feel better when all this rain goes away. And I can celebrate with a nice easy run along the river in the late evening sun.

xx Sara

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I am a NJ runner too!! And looks like we have many of the same runs planned! Due to injury I had to back out of RU but many of my teammates ran it. Same story with Broad Street but I will be at PDR (or Philly R&R) and Philly half!